What is Gynecologic Surgery?
Gynecologic surgery refers to a range of surgical procedures that are performed on the female reproductive system. These procedures may be performed for a variety of reasons, including diagnosing and treating conditions such as uterine fibroids, endometriosis, and ovarian cysts, among others. Some gynecologic surgeries may also be performed to prevent or manage gynecologic cancers.
There are various types of gynecologic surgery
Types of Gynecologic Surgery
1. Hysterectomy: This is a surgical procedure that involves the removal of the uterus. It may be performed for a variety of reasons, such as treating fibroids, endometriosis, or gynecologic cancer.
2. Myomectomy: This is a surgical procedure that involves the removal of uterine fibroids while leaving the uterus intact. It may be performed to alleviate symptoms such as heavy bleeding, pain, or infertility.
3. Oophorectomy: This is a surgical procedure that involves the removal of one or both ovaries. It may be performed to treat conditions such as ovarian cysts, endometriosis, or gynecologic cancer.
4. Hysteroscopy: This is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that involves the insertion of a thin, flexible tube (hysteroscope) into the uterus. It may be performed to diagnose and treat conditions such as fibroids, polyps, or adhesions.
Gynecologic surgery includes both benefits and risks
• Relief from symptoms such as heavy bleeding, pain, or infertility
• Treatment or prevention of gynecologic cancers
• Improved quality of life
• Damage to nearby organs
• Adverse reactions to anesthesia
It is important to discuss the potential benefits and risks of gynecologic surgery with your healthcare provider before making a decision. Your provider can help you determine the most appropriate course of treatment based on your individual needs and medical history.
Contact our office to schedule a consultation with one of the physicians at Legacy Women’s Health. Our highly trained specialists are here to help you with your gynecological concerns and can create a custom treatment plan with the non-surgical or gynecologic surgical treatment that best suits your needs.